; />

Monday 26 May 2014

Misses

I've had a couple of bits and pieces that I've wanted to mention for a while, but none are worthy of their own post since all four just miss the mark. Since they all seem to fall into the same basket I thought I'd lump them together, as they're all fine, not terrible, and I'll probably persevere and use them up but I can't recommend them as they all have one or two big failings. 
Stila Smudge Pot in Kitten looks beautiful in the pot. I bought it after hearing endless exclamations over Stila's kitten eyeshadow and my love of cream shadows was reaching it's peak so I figured it must be a match made in heaven right? wrong
It's impossible to work with, I just can't get a decent overall colour when I apply it. You either get a very, very sheer glittery cast on the lids or you get a clumpy mess. I have to be so careful with this it's just not worth it, as even on those rare days I get it right the colour just isn't that pretty. I'm definitely going to be hunting down Stila Kitten eyeshadow when I'm in the States in July but I'd definitely stay away from the rest of Stila's smudge pots since this was such a disappointment

I only have NYX Jumbo Eye Pencil in Milk with in my New Zealand as however beautiful Yoghurt is I just can't figure out a use for it. These things crease like crazy on my lids, and they just don't stick for the waterline. So I'm left either using it very, very lightly on my lids to the point where there's no point, or under my lower lash line… I see other people using these all the time so I'm going to persevere with them a little longer to find some use of them.
Mac Honey Lust (middle swatch) is another mixed bag, when you apply it wet with a mixing medium it is a gorgeous eye shadow that provides super shimmery, metallic pigmentation with pretty glitters. However you apply it dry and it's a whole different story. It's sparse, the colour is none existent and worst of all, the glitter drops all over your face.

The reason I'm mentioning it here is that although when applied wet it's an amazing shadow, even then you have to be very careful to not apply too much. Despite it being gorgoues it's just a hassle, I find blending it out wet is a little bit of nightmare, but if I wait for it to dry then it goes terribly chunky and I get glitter all over my face. I just can't win and it's not something I'll be buying again despite how pretty it is when you get it right
The final miss is the Live Clean, Fresh Face Daily Moisturiser, which I got while I was in Brisbane, around 3 months ago and it's taken until now to firmly make my mind up. But I don't like it. It's thin formula feels lovely when you're applying it, especially if it's hot outside as it's very calming, however the problems arise when it dries. I've never had a moisturiser that make my skin feel so tight after applying it! I put it down to my skin being dehydrated for a while but I'm now confident it's this.

Its not a complete fail though, I imagine this could work very well for someone with oily skin or somewhere very humid. But for now it's being relegated to the back of my skin care. 

No comments: